Sunday, August 23, 2009

How to Break Up With Your Trainer

Being a mid 40-something, I gave in to a slowing metabolism and the effects of gravity and succumbed to the lore of "the Personal Trainer." I am important now; more importantly, I need not exercise alone or even think about what to do at the gym. For about a year, things went well. I grew stronger; I had my consistent twice a week appointments and I even started to have defined biceps; we exchanged conversations and birthday presents. Then, I found out the tragic truth about personal trainers; they are a nomadic group who switch gyms and sometimes leave for a more grown-up profession; e.g., can't go to work wearing gym clothes all day. Sadly, that's what happened to me. As my gym seemed to be leaking personal trainers due to the opening of a hot new gym in the next town, I was left with 5 pre-paid sessions and only 2 trainers to choose from. So, that's how I ended up with L. Things were a little uneasy from the start. First of all, she seemed more interested in talking about herself than about me - a violation of Personal Trainers, 101. Then, my regularly-scheduled weekly dates (I did take this opportunity to change from 2x week to 1x week - we are in a recession after all) became erratic and were designed to fit into her schedule - another violation of Personal Trainer 101. So, it's time to end our relationship. Where to start? We "work" at the same place. Can I go there and work out, averting the hurt glances? Need I change gyms? And, once again, I am left with pre-paid sessions. Any ideas?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jen
    I am so impressed that you have decided to enter the world of blogs. This is the first time I have ever responded to a blog.

    As far as the trainer situation goes, you only have a couple of pre-paid sessions to go, so I would just stick it out. Then wait a couple of weeks before starting with another trainer, if there is one you like. What about changing gyms to the new hot gym in the neighboring town? Trainers are not the only ones who can switch gyms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that your pre-paid sessions are over, right? So then, if your new trainer asks about scheduling new sessions, just "flick" your hair and say you'll have to let her know what time works for you, as you are busy, back in school. She'll understand. Then you're off the hook. Don't worry about glances in your direction, I'm sure it's because of your biceps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer:
    Yes, yours is only the second blog I have read and the first I have commented on. Thanks for pushing me forward...I enjoyed the whole page, the only thing I didn't look at was an enlarged view of your picture-ha ha. As for the trainer, cut her loose! She has violated too many trainer rules and you are busy. Do not use any pre-paid you have left on her and don't think twice about it. Either remian on your own or choose a new trainer when others are hired. No time to look back at her, a simple wave or mumbled hello is all I would give if your paths cross. Onward and upward--there's lots of blogging to do!

    ReplyDelete